Thursday 29 October 2009

Airport coffee



From her vantage-point at the back of the queue, she counts the number of free seats in the café. The idea of eating standing up is unappealing, so she voices her concern: ‘Shall I get us a table?’

He surveys the area. Formica tables of varying heights; around them families, couples, suits and laptops. ‘We’ll be fine. Stay with me,’ then (in order to sound less needy) ‘I don’t know what you’ll want’. He checks his watch: there is time to kill. The flight doesn’t have a boarding gate yet.

‘Are we supposed to have a tray?’ she asks. ‘I don’t know,’ he replies. Casting his view downward, he spies an empty metal cage – where trays used to live. ‘Do we need one?’

In her hand is a plastic triangle containing a brie and grape sandwich. He smiles as he watches her deliberate, wrinkle her nose and finally place the packet back on the refrigerator shelf. He spies her logic before she can articulate it: that she would be foolish to order cheese in an airport café in Manchester when she will soon be able to order the Real Thing from a fromagerie. Selecting instead a tuna salad, she turns her attention to the faux-chalkboard behind the counter. ‘What size coffee are you getting?’ she asks.

‘I’m just getting a medium. I find that when I do order a large cappuccino, I don’t enjoy the last third of it. It’s a waste.’

‘I’m getting the large anyway’

‘You won’t enjoy the last third of it.’

He knows that his tone is supercilious. He thinks it funny, and he hopes that she will realise that this superior tone was a character, though at the same time he is aware that he does talk down to her.

At what stage does a couple implicitly agree that they are now so comfortable with each other that they can talk down to each other? How long must elapse before we can say hurtful, testy things with impunity - things that we wouldn’t dream of saying to anybody else? After five years? Ten? He catches her eye to communicate all this. She looks back directly, and her glance comforts him, tells him that she knows him; she knows what he is like, she knows his faults and she has now even reached a stage where she can enjoy them. To such an extent, her glance continues, that should he die, these conversations are the things that she will miss.

He shifts his attention to the seating area: ‘Actually, it’s filling up. Do you want to get us a table? I’ll pay for these.’

The tray finally does materialise at the till. He takes it and stands, vacantly surveying the tables to find her. Her new hair almost trips him, and he makes comment on this as he takes a seat with her. So veiled was the compliment within this exchange that the average passer-by would miss it. She doesn’t however, and her face beams at him. He mistakes this smile as excitement at the imminent voyage and their conversation drifts in this direction.

‘How do you feel to be away from baby?’ he tentatively asks. He knows it is a question that needs asking, that he wants the answer to, yet he is afraid to bring down the mood.

‘Strange.’ is her monosyllabic reply. Within these letters, microscopic small print exists that reads ‘I feel as though a part of me has been removed. I feel limbless. I also feel liberated, as though I was carrying a heavy load of luggage, and now I have placed it down on the street and walked away. I feel like my heart has been broken and trampled on. I can picture her face smiling, and her big, beautiful ears. I feel worried about her, and worried about myself.’

She glances down at her outsized coffee cup. The cup is an unusual design that features handles on either side. Suddenly, she laughs, and holds the cup up for inspection: ‘Does this remind you of anyone?’

They both laugh. She places the cup back down on the table and reviews its contents: ‘I can’t finish this.’

5 comments:

  1. Love it! Who is the mysterious woman of whom you speak? She sounds simply delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. above comment left by Donna not Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The old advice 'write about what you know' certainly worked with this one. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite and my best. Brings a lump to my throat everytime I read it.

    ReplyDelete