Thursday 11 February 2010

A List of reasons

There are reasons. I mean, I couldn’t come up with them at the time, but yes – there are reasons to get rid of them. Lots of reasons:
1) Life is short.
2) I work long hours, and so seldom see them anyway.
3) They are ugly.
4) We have to employ babysitters to feed them when we go on holiday.
5) I could do without the extra responsibility.
6) It’s not environmentally sound to keep them (and I think it may be cruel).
7) Their staring eyes taunt me.
8) I don’t think it’s hygienic to be touching their food.
9) When I drink, after you have gone to bed, I place my hand into the tank and look at it magnified through the glass, the fish exploring my outstretched fingers. Sometimes I can be there for thirty to forty minutes. I don’t think that this is healthy.
10) We could scoop the fish up with a net, carry them in a jar to the sea, release them and watch them gratefully swim away. Then we could return to the tank with a lump hammer, smash the glass and watch the water flap in one liquid lump to the floor, then crash and split into bouncing droplets before settling into one large soggy puddle punctuated with shards of glass on our living room carpet, and we could stand over the scene, the two of us, and for the moment before regret and thoughts of cleaning up set in, we would feel like: Yes! This is life! This is living! I am ALIVE!

So anyway… those are my reasons. I’ll let you make the final decision. They’re your fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment